Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The washing machine adventure

The "cube"

Now that I am no longer living at my parents, I have to deal with more responsabilities. Laundry is one of them. That is to say, I have to stop going home every week end with my bag full of dirty clothes and let my mum do it for me. I used to do it, because I only lived  45 minutes away. But now, things are different. I have to do my laundry and Guillaume's. We basically spent the first three weeks cleaning our clothes on the sink. It was long, it hurt and it took days to dry. I thought (and I still do) that using the public laundry was too expensive and a waste of time. I finish class quite late and after class, I don't want to spend two hours waiting with weird people. So on my birthday, I asked for money so I could buy my first washing machine. But, Guillaume's grand parents offered us their old washing machine. Great ! I would save my extra money for later and we would have a decent way to wash our clothes ! 

So at the end of September, Guillaume drove to his grands parents to collect our new washing machine. I was really excited, I knew it was old, but I didn't know it was THAT old. When Guillaume went home, I asked him if he needed help but he said no. He walked through the door with a giant cube of plastic which dated back to the 50s and started to explain me how it worked: you had to put the water in it first (not too hot, not too cold), then you had to put the clothes on and close the door with a piece of steel, then you needed to plug it on. AND the cube needed to be near a sink or a bathroom to throw the water out. Easy peasy ! It took us about 30 minutes to do so and the noise was terrible. For a moment, I thought it was going to break the kitchen worktop, so we decided to move it into the bathroom. Terrible idea ... The pipe went away and the water ran on our kitchen floor. Same thing in the bathroom. It took us about an hour to clean and dry the place.

And its 60 years later version

I was really pissed and annoyed, because I didn't know how to tell Guillaume this wouldn't work. It was too big to fit on our bathroom and way too complicated to use everyday. I mean, I was not going to take two hours everyday doing all these steps to make it work and it was too dangerous (floods + plug = electrocution). On his side, he was upset because he drove a long way for nothing, wasted two hours making it work and cleaning and because he knew I was a bit disappointed. We finally looked at each other and ... honestly, I don't if the situation was that funny or if our nerves just broke down but we burst out laughing. The very same night, I ordered a proper washing machine online. Nothing fancy, but at least it works !



No comments:

Post a Comment

.PageList { text-align:center !important; } .PageList li { display:inline !important; float:none !important; }